Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Travel season

For about two months during the Fall, Andy lives in 'travel season.' From mid September to mid November he is gone at least a couple days a week recruiting as part of his job. October is the most intense. He is gone four days this week and four next week. Sometimes it's really tough. Taking care of Lu without her dad around is more challenging. We both miss him. We tend to get a bit house-bound (that's mostly my fault since Andy is the extrovert in our relationship).
However, this travel season I've been thinking of the upsides as well. First off I appreciate all the more how much he does! Between taking care of Lu with me, and doing other house work my husband takes his family work seriously. I really notice how much more I do when he is gone.
Mostly though in some ways we take his travel as a way to appreciate each other all the more. Something about missing someone, laying in bed at night and wishing he was here, is a powerful reminder of how much I love him.
We also take full advantage of our possible modes of communication. We often text during the day, and we usually end up talking on the phone a few times a day too. This year we've been video skyping before going to sleep. It's good to see his face before going to bed. Even Lu gets in on the skyping provided we can set it up before she goes to sleep!
My point is we stay close despite the distance. Missing him during the day and making our sappy phone calls is a good reminder of all we have in each other, and I am grateful. Plus every weekend feels like a vacation, a time to spend as a family.
(PS. I try not to write to many of these romantic posts, because then people will find out that I am really just a big sap.)

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you guys find ways to stay close despite the distance and crazy traveling. It's such an important thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so tough when husbands travel! Mark doesn't travel much (thank goodness) and just had his first real business trip this summer and it was like a really exciting reunion when he came home. I'm glad you are looking at the positive side of things with Andy's travels -- that can be hard to do.

    ReplyDelete