Sunday, July 4, 2010

Married names

I'll admit it, I have residual feminist tendencies, and you know what? I think it's a good thing. I don't feel like I need to be an executive, or become a sharp shooter to prove myself, but I do believe in the equality of men and women, while maintaining that the sexes have their own strengths and weaknesses (very generalized but true). However, it really bothers me when someone refers to me as Mrs. Andrew Horner. I love being Andy's wife, it is intrinsic to my identity. I love that we are united, and yes I took his last name to show my connectedness to him, and the unity of our family. However, personally being referred to as Mrs. his name, makes me feel like my only identity in that name is Mrs. and um, I still exist on my own too. I realize that this may be more traditional than anything else, but it really irks me.

No comments:

Post a Comment